3 day course
Days booked individually via online form. To book all 3 days at discounted rate contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This comprehensive, practical and interactive course explores the full range of reading skills. It addresses knowledge-based and skills-based perspectives and proposes pedagogical practices which develop skills in rich and purposeful contexts.
The content draws on a two-year research project managed by Just Imagine and funded by the DfE and London School Excellence Fund. It is informed by work undertaken
for Guiding Readers – Layers of meaning, winner of the UKLA Academic Book of the Year 2017 (Wayne Tennent, David Reedy, Angela Hobsbaum and Nikki Gamble).
Areas of focus
- Understanding comprehension and inference
- Selecting texts and mapping the potential of the text
- The importance of discussion and dialogue
- The most effective evidence-based strategies including reciprocal reading strategies, visualisation, use of graphic organisers, text marking, think aloud,
authentic questioning and other metacognitive strategies
- Robust vocabulary instruction
- Comprehending fiction, non-fiction and poetry
- Teacher assessment
- Auditing and action planning
Key Stage suitability
Three-day course with gap tasks:
Day 1 Comprehension overview and the development of inference skills
Day 2 Improving talk for reading: discussion and dialogue; teacher assessment
Day 3 Building vocabulary for reading
Options for one- or two-day versions are available on request.
Two or three year projects can be devised for more sustained development work.
Guiding Readers – Layers of meaning Wayne Tennent, David Reedy, Angela Hobsbaum and Nikki Gamble (2016). A copy of this book can be included in training costs at a special training price. To order contact email@example.com