This one day course presents the case for developing reading fluency and is based on up-to-date research.
We start by outlining a set of core principles for developing fluent and expressive readers in the context of quality first teaching. Fluency is not magically achieved in the transition from KS to KS2; readers of all ages may at some point find their fluency challenged. This course considers the needs of pupils of different ages and levels of attainment.
Areas of focus
- why fluency is important to overall reading and literacy attainment
- a brief overview of approaches to developng reading fluency and consideration of their merits and weakenesses
- practical workshop around 4 key strategies
- Reading aloud – how to do it well
- Readers theatre – not just for dialogue
- Poetry – tuning in to the aural qualities of language
- Becoming fluent with nonfiction
This is a participative workshop. We suggest coming dressed for comfort and enjoyment.