Reading in Curriculum Subjects – supporting the demands of subject disciplinary reading
- Are you reading enough appropriately challenging and engaging books in curriculum subjects?
- Do you consider the demands of reading in curriculum subjects when selecting and planning to use texts?
- Do your pupils have the skills for critical reading in curriculum subjects, beyond conventional information skills?
- Is your school library stocked with up-to-date nonfiction that meets the subject discipline demands of the current curriculum?
This course focuses on the specific demands of reading and writing in curriculum subjects. We look specifically at the requirements of history, geography and science.
Based on the findings of our action research project ‘Reading History’, we problematise some nonfiction practices before moving on to practical class approaches for teaching with nonfiction (and some fiction) in history, geography and science. We outline ways to build academic vocabulary for both content learning and processes, And, of course, we give some attention to the place of nonfiction in developing reading for pleasure.
English leads, literacy leads, curriculum leads, class teachers
Key stage suitability
Participants will gain an understanding of the demands of subject disciplinary reading. They will have practical strategies for reading nonfiction in curriculum subject areas and knowledge of the range of up-to-date texts that can be used to support this teaching.
Areas of focus
- A quick review of different approaches to using nonfiction and the range of purposes
- Things to consider when choosing nonfiction, fiction and poetry for reading in subjects, and to support the development of disciplinary reading
- Reading and writing in subjects
- Building academic vocabulary in subject content areas of the curriculum
- Nonfiction and fiction working in tandem to build subject knowledge
- Reading in subjects and the development of reading for pleasure
||Reading in History
||4.00 – 5.30
||Reading in Geography
||4.00 – 5,30
||Reading in Science
||4.00 – 5.30
£90 + VAT 3 sessions
Payable by invoice or credit card. Payment must be received before enrollment is completed and the place reserved.
Note: schools wanting to book this course for whole school training or multiple teachers should contact us by email as discounted package options are available. Email email@example.com